A literary analysis presents a reader’s interpretation to a literary work, usually by focusing on a specific literary aspect of the work and connecting that device to the meaning. For this essay, you will choose one of the works in this unit and write a 2-3 page literary response essay citing examples from the story.
Step 1- Choose one:
· “In Another Country”
· “The Chrysanthemums”
· “The Black Ball”
· “Why You Reckon?”
· “Mending Wall”
Step 2: Select an appropriate literary device to examine. Here are some suggestions:
· “In Another Country” – setting, tone, mood
· “The Chrysanthemums” – setting, point of view, symbolism
· “The Black Ball” – irony, point of view, diction, pathos
· “Why, You Reckon?” – setting, characterization or motivation
· “Mending Wall”- aphorisms, symbols, metaphor
Step 3: Determine how this device helps the author to achieve his/her overall message (theme). What is the take-away from this story? What message or lesson is the author trying to share?
Step 4: Highlight and annotate the text for these devices.
You should have a “conversation” with the text in your annotations. Make comments, ask questions, etc. This all makes for an excellent analysis. Remember to identify specific lines from the story/poem that you can use as text evidence in your paper. You will need to include at least 3 quotes in the essay from your chosen short story/poem (primary source). How so these devices helps the author to achieve his/her overall message (theme)?
Step 5: Write a thesis statement.
In “____________”, the author uses (figurative language device/point of view/irony) to show/reveal (author’s message/theme).
Step 6: Outline the structure of the essay.
Your essay should be at least 2 pages. If you need help organizing your essay, use the outline below or the attached shaping sheet document.
Possible Outline for the Literary Analysis Essay:
I. Introduction (ACES)
II. Literary device #1 and connection to theme (ACES)
III. Literary device #2 and connection to theme (ACES)
IV. Literary device #3 and connection to theme (ACES)
V. Secondary source information (article found on library database) (ACES) **EXTRA CREDIT- Optional**
VI. Conclusion (ACES)
VII. Works Cited page
Need help with formatting your essay? Click the link below.
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.