Unlike the other authors that you have read over the past few weeks, Dennett gives attempts to give a strictly empirical account of ‘self’. For Daniel Dennett, accounting for phenomena (objects or events experienced in reality) is a matter of reduction to natural facts. When philosophers say all experience in reality is reducible to physical facts, we say that this is a physicalist account of the world. Dennett’s particular line of reasoning is an extreme form of physicalism, where if there is some phenomena that cannot be accounted without appealing to non-physical facts, then it stands to reason that the phenomena in question does not exist (or that it has been accounted for it incorrectly.) Hence, Dennett’s position in the philosophy of mind and cognitive science is what is known as material eliminativism. However, Dennett’s account approaches the notion of self from a perspective of evolutionary biology, and Dennett believes that an account of the self can be given in a way that develops from physical facts.Prompt: First, briefly lay out Dennett’s account of the self as it constructed through a narrative. What might this narrative structure mean for a person that has multiple personality disorder? Second, give a brief comparison with James Giles ‘no-self theory’ that you read last week. Finally, and following from your responses to the two previous questions, should a person prefer Giles’ or Dennett’s account of the self? Provide reasons for your decision and list some possible advantages, and disadvantages, of your choice.Required Reading: Daniel C. Dennett, “The Origins of Selves” (PDF)Recommended Reading: TED Talk – Daniel Dennett and the Illusion of Consciousness (Weblink); SEP, “Physicalism” – Introduction & Sections 1, 2, 10, 11, & 12 (Weblink)Remember: A response consists of more than one word or simply agreeing. Please cite all passages in the text (including page number) and cite all outside information according to MLA guidelines. Your answer should have AT LEAST 3 responses (possibly more), aside from your original post. You will always be required to create a post responding to the discussion prompt (300-600 words), before viewing any responses of other students. Please review your work carefully before you submit since you will not be allowed to edit it afterwards (i.e., type and edit your responses in a WordDoc before posting.) Additionally, each discussion board requires you to respond to at least three other students (50-100 words per response).
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.